Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Yay for finishing homework before dinner! and having time to make cookies! Mmm, chocolate oatmeal cookies. (To make up for the cheesecake that I didn't end up making yesterday.) I remembered an important lesson regarding studying today -- the benefits of walking away and letting something be for a while if you're completely stuck. I must have spent about two hours yesterday struggling with one of my diff eq problem sets, finally decided to scratch it for the night, and today I picked it up, read two pages of the textbook over again, and whipped the problem set out in less time than I spent trying to figure out the first problem yesterday. It's good to get a fresh look at things once in a while.

It's also good to recognize when things are really truly not going to work, no matter how hard you try. Hugo and I spent an inordinate amount of time last night trying to download and configure things that would enable me to set up my Mac on the IBM network he has for his three PCs in the apartment. This was mainly for the purpose of allowing me to connect to his printer so I didn't have to bring mine up from the basement and clutter the place up further. Which is what ended up happening in the end, after my poor Murgatroid crashed about twelve times in a row on startup and I finally uninstalled Dave (the program that was supposed to work these wonders.) (Oh, yeah, and after Hugo somehow locked himself out of his own computer and hasn't been able to get on since -- his company computer *wince*) So now I have my printer back up here and get to experience all of the adventures associated with it (gotta love tempermental technology).

By the way, happy National Hugging Day! Thank you, Graham, for reminding me. It's a nice thing to remember, especially since I always like all the hugs I can get. So if you're reading this, give yourself a hug for me!

No comments: