Saturday, January 25, 2003

I asked Kirsty this evening what she had seen today that was pretty, and she said she didn't know. I told her that you can't go a day without seeing something pretty, which got me to thinking of what I had seen today that was pretty (while she drew me a picture of a tree she had seen in the woods). I must admit that I haven't been out the front door today, and I probably would have been hard pressed to find anything traditionally classed as "pretty" out there if I had -- it's all wet and rainy and grey and sludgy out there. I'm usually good at finding beauty in grey days, but I didn't exacly experience this one, so I didn't have a chance to. Here's a list of the pretty things I found in the apartment today:

- My new desktop picture, a dragonfly
- The colored-wax-encrusted wine bottle we burn our drippy candles in
- My rainbow hanging string thing that my Dad and Betty Lue gave me when I moved to Oregon
- The rose hanging to dry on the kitchen wall
- The picture Kirsty drew me of the two of us under a sunny rainbow sky (literally, the sky was one big rainbow, and an upside down one, at that! :) )
- Certain pictures in this year's Harmony collection -- particularly one of my two wonderful Mommies, both beautiful women inside and out
- The Renegade Rose Morris Dancers "business" card I taped to my monitor
- Kirsty's twirly purple velvet dancing dress
- The Vienna Teng c.d. that I'm listening to right now (okay, so that's hearing pretty and not seeing, but it still counts, right?)

I like making lists of pretty things. It brings a little extra piece of happy to the day that wouldn't normally be there if you just went through the day seeing but not really noticing everything. I've been feeling sleepy and sickish and rather cranky and out-of-sorts in general today (apologies to those who had to experience that!), but now I feel a bit better. As long as I don't start thinking about my homework, and the physics test I have on Monday.....

No comments: