Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Back to school

Well, it's my second day back at school. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time convincing myself I'm not still on spring break. :} I've been to almost all of my classes (I have one more this evening), and they all feel like they'll be pretty fun, so that's good. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about my soccer class. I was looking forward to learning how to play soccer - rules, skills, that sort of thing - and we're not getting any of that. It's just kicking the ball around, having fun and getting exercise, and the only rules are things like no high balls and you can only touch the ball three times before passing. That would be fine if everybody were on pretty much the same level, but a number of people in the class have played soccer for a long time, and there's a core group that apparently takes this class every quarter, so it's a little intimidating. I got totally worn out in the first 15 minutes yesterday, and realized that I may be in pretty good shape for some things, like yoga, but that doesn't mean I'm in good shape for soccer! So we'll see how that goes in the next week or so.

I picked up my final project paper for my archaeology class yesterday - the one I was worried about because I didn't have time to proofread it.... I got 100%!! I was astounded, but very happy. My professor wanted me to enter the project into the Student Research Symposium, but unfortunately the deadline for abstracts was yesterday, so it's a little late. That and I have class all day on the day of the symposium, so I wouldn't even be able to be there to present my poster, so it would be kind of silly. But it was gratifying to have her ask.

The rest of my spring break that I haven't written about was pretty low-key, but nice. I saw Diarios de Motocicleta on Friday - an excellent movie, and good practice for my Spanish. Sunday I drove down to Salem for Easter dinner with Jim and Siri Kirpal. It was lovely to see them again, and I came home with jars of jam and pickles and 23 new CDs of family slides and photos! Hooray for Jim, who has been hard at work archiving all of our wonderful family material.

Time to head to class now, and then after class I have a meeting for my naturalist training class - we have a field trip this weekend where we get to learn to track animals and make bird calls and all sorts of fun things. Goody goody. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite a big shift from the yoga mat to the soccer pitch.
Astounded by a 100%? I think you underestimate your talents!