Monday, June 21, 2004

Miscellaneous catching up


Well, well, where to start? So much has happened since I last blogged. I could spend an hour detailing the horrors and catastrophes of our move, but I don't think I need to rehash that experience quite yet. I'll just say that the "whole thing" (as in, just the getting out of the old house part) took two days rather than seven hours, and that we still can't find our phone (not that we have phone service with which to use a phone...) Things have settled down a bit, we're partially unpacked -- in fact, I think I can safely say that we're more unpacked than we are packed, but I'm not entirely sure -- and, despite the fact that we either can't close or can't open the majority of the windows upstairs and can't close the garage door when it's sunny, we love the new house.

What else? My Spanish class started today. I was really worried about jumping into second year Spanish, since it's been three years since I took first year, but to my surprise (and occasional cringing horror), I think I'm actually better off than a lot of the students in the class. Fortunately (or maybe not), the teacher doesn't really care that we get things right all the time, as long as we can all understand each other. :) He's not a native speaker, but he did both his BA and his MA in Spanish (at PSU) and studied in Spain, so he's pretty fluent. And I've never had a Spanish teacher with a Spanish accent (all my previous teachers have been Mexican), so it'll be interesting.

I discovered last night while perusing the bus schedules for my first day of class that the buses that run close to the house really aren't conducive to my class schedule. I could get to school alright, but would have to wait an hour to come home, which wouldn't really be pleasant. So I decided to ride my bike. I haven't ridden my bike at all for about a year, and we live in twisty, hilly country, so this is no easy feat. My route to school involves a fairly steep and long uphill at the start, and then several miles of exhilaratingly speedy downhill to bring me to downtown. The uphill was longer than I expected, but I survived, and the downhill made me forget all about it. My route home involves taking a bus partway home and then riding uphill for a mile or so to get to the house. I went the only way I knew today, but we just discovered an easier route that I'll try tomorrow, that's exactly a mile. So if I survive the first week of it, I should get into pretty good shape pretty fast!

Anyway, that's life for now, pretty much. Still unpacking, trying to figure out where to put everything, trying to find the phone (we're hoping it didn't get into one of the Goodwill boxes -- or worse, the boxes that got taken to the dump). And now I have studying and homework to add to it. It's going to be a full summer. But we have a lovely new house with a lovely view, and my office is in the basement where it stays (relatively) nice and cool. Hugo and I have been eating dinner out on the deck, and last night we went for a walk after dinner, a habit we're going to try to get ourselves into this summer. The weather has been extremely hot and dry, and the evenings are the best part of the day.

Now it's time to go enjoy some milk and freshly baked cookies before bed. Good night!
:)

No comments: