Monday, October 03, 2005

I Knead a Beat

Since I'm relatively on top of my schoolwork so far, and since I managed to borrow a large bowl from John this morning, I designated today a baking day. Hooray! The large bowl was necessary for making bread, the second batch of which is on its second rise at the moment. (The first loaf was a cheater recipe; it didn't actually go through all the rises but sort of did it on its own in the oven. Clever Norwegians.) I put on my Big Bad Voodoo Daddies CD for kneading music for the second batch, and discovered that "Maddest Kind of Love" had the perfect beat for my kneading speed. And since it's a five minute song, it occupied a good portion of my kneading time. Now, if I were very clever (or had a metronome), I'd be able to figure out how many beats per minute I knead at, which would be wonderfully geeky. :)

In other culinary fun (there seems to be a theme in my recent posts....) I went over to my friend Lisa's apartment last night for a small dinner party with two of her other friends (who I had met in the garden previously, and given carrots, which we figured out about two hours into the evening). We made acorn squash soup and chanterelle pizza, which was just fabulous. The plan was to have dinner and then make fig jam, but we never quite got to the fig jam part of the evening because we were having so much fun yakking (mostly about food). But it was fun.

In less exciting, non-culinary news, my first week of classes went well, and I think I'll have a decent quarter. One horrible class (Human Variability), one hard-but-good class (Advanced Topics in Archaeology: Hunter-Gatherers), one medium class (Urban Planning: Environmental Issues) and one relaxing class with a community service component (Meditation for Global Healing). For this class I'll be volunteering at Our House of Portland, a residential facility for people living with advanced AIDS/HIV. I like the people in my group, and I think it should be a good experience. We have an orientation next week, where I'll hopefully figure out what we'll actually be doing.

Other than that, it's been wonderful and cool and rainy since classes started, and I love it! I've been out walking in the rain as much as possible, and people either look at me like I'm crazy or smile at the silly grin on my face, which is usually turned up to enjoy the rain. Mmm, I do love Portland. :)

4 comments:

Quena said...

I miss you so much!! Glad to hear you are having a happy time of it!

Anonymous said...

Between all the cooking and schooling... and traveling, have you had any time to play with Baby Taylor?

Lacey said...

Umm, sadly, no. I do intend to, but it might have to wait until after this quarter when I (hopefully) get a job and can afford lessons, since I don't know anybody at the moment who can teach me for free. :(

Anonymous said...

I can understand that. There never seems to be enough time... or money... to do the things you want to do once you find them. (That reminds me of a Cat Stevens song.) As long as the things most important to you get the time they deserve.