Saturday, October 15, 2005

Harvest


This afternoon I went out to the garden for the work party I had marked on my calendar. Unfortunately, I was mistaken in the date, and it's actually tomorrow. But Paul was there as well (because I'd told him it was today), so we went ahead and worked on our plot for a few hours. We harvested everything that was harvestable, then pulled up and churned under all of the annuals to make way for winter crops. We ended up with 11.6 pounds of green tomatoes and a whole armful of sunflowers, which are now in various vases and jars all over my coffee table -- it's wonderful. :) We left the lettuces and spinach and chard and peas and onions, but other than that the plot is ready for winter crops. I was expecting to be sort of sad after we took everything out, to feel like the plot looked naked and bare after its beautiful summer glory, but it really wasn't that way at all. It felt more like it was just gorgeous rich, moist, dark earth, ready and waiting for the next adventure to be planted. It felt good, and it's nice to feel part of the cycle. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these tomatoes.... :P

No comments: