Monday, October 31, 2005

Monsters And Such

In honor of Halloween, I have decided to post my Halloween poem. Some of you are probably quite tired of it by now, since I used to email it out every Halloween, but that's why I'm posting it here rather than inflicting it on your in-boxes. If you've read it before, bear with me; if you haven't, you can still bear with me. It might not actually be as good as I remember it. :) The story behind this is that I wrote it in response to an assignment over the Halloween weekend in my 11th grade English class. The assignment was to write a short scary story titled "Monsters and Such." I could not for the life of me write a scary story, but this poem came up from nowhere and sort of wrote itself, so I turned it in instead. I think I creeped everybody out pretty well, and ended up getting an A, even though I didn't actually address the assignment. :P Happy Halloween, eight years later!


Monsters and Such

I’ll tell you a story of which the dead boast,
of ghouls and demons, of witches and ghosts
who creep into closets in the black of the night,
and fill little children with horrible fright.

These ghosts, with their vengeful spirits afire,
with hearts full of malice, bloodlust, desire;
These are what’s under the bed of your youngest.
One waits for bedtime, and then out he lunges!

He carries the child in arms made of mist,
and whispers through lips that the Devil has kissed,
“Heaven be damned, you’re in my power now.
To Satan, the King of all Hell you shall bow.”

Through Hades the innocent youngster is borne.
He sees all the people whose lives have been torn
now cowering in misery, fear, constant fright,
with hellfire and brimstones as their only light.

Souls that have sinned, and those that are damned,
all serving the Devil in this barren land.
Their decaying bodies rotting down to the bone
cause a stench no one wants to admit as his own.

As the young boy feels his stomach grow weaker,
he locks eye to eye with the deadly Grim Reaper.
The long bloody scythe held high in his hand,
the child knows he will never escape from this land.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Yeah, I remember you were kind of freaked out about it when I first wrote it. But then again, I think I was, too! :P

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is creepy! I had "Monsters, Inc" in my head as I read the first few verses, but was taken to a much less hopeful place, a place not Lacey-ish at all. I can see why people got freaked by it. But it is good to have our little belief bubbles popped every now and then. I liked the trip. Thanks for sharing.