Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Baby Taylor & Lucky Bamboo

Well, I went to California last weekend to help Mom move, and ended up coming home with her guitar! Yup, it's the most beautiful Baby Taylor, a lovely small guitar that's the perfect size for small bodies and fingers. It's so cute! Now I just have to learn how to play it! Graham helped me put new strings on it and tune it for the first time, and taught me my first three chords, but now I need to find somebody up here in Portland who can teach me the rest. :)

Before I left for CA I put my old monitor and keyboard up for sale or trade on Craigslist. The deal? Either $10 or a nice houseplant. A very pleasant woman came to pick them up this afternoon, and I now have a lovely new lucky bamboo plant on my windowsill! She was great -- she didn't have a car and didn't want to bother with FlexCar, so she just brought a giant duffel bag and some bubble wrap and took it all home on the bus. :) My kind of person. :)

In less happy news, my jars of preserved mushrooms seem to have broken their seals and overflowed themselves with oil while I was gone. I guess maybe I filled them too full, but the recipe didn't say how much head room to leave -- just to get out all the air bubbles and fill the jars. But they're all leaking oil all over the place, so I must have filled them too full. I don't know if they're salvageable or not, since the seals have obviously been broken. Can anybody help me on this one? I was really looking forward to those!

4 comments:

Borden said...

No experience with preserving mushrooms, but I generally regard expansion as Not Good, as in an indication that bacteria are giving off waste products (gasses). And those are bacteria that I don't want tap-dancing in my digestive track. Sorry about the hard work and high hopes, but my advice is not to risk it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, a baby Taylor?! You lucky girl! That's one fine guitar. You need to send mom lots of thank you preserves, 'cus she's given you sumpin'. I've always wanted one of those. I've got two maple Taylors, a 12-string and a 6-string, but no baby...yet. Enjoy the new guitar and keep practicing - your fingers will toughen up in no time.

Lacey said...

Darnit, Borden, I thought you'd say that. But I agree, expansion is a bad sign, and much as I hate to see all those lovely mushrooms go to waste, it's probably better than the alternative (at least for my and my friends' stomachs!)

As for the baby Taylor, it's on loan, so don't get too excited! :) It is a gorgeous little guitar, though, and I'm very happy to have it. I'll try to take a picture of it and put it up for you to see, cuz it's so cute!

Anonymous said...

I'd like that.
...and thanks.