Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Asleep at the Wheel

No, I didn't fall asleep while driving home this evening (I don't even have a car). I just got back from a concert at the zoo, with a band called Asleep at the Wheel. I'd never heard their music before, but Paul has a "plus" zoo membership that gets him two free tickets to the Wednesday evening concerts, so I invited him along to get us both in for free. And it was worth every penny! :) Paul's most descriptive comment was, "They're like a parody of a country band. I'm not quite sure whether or not to take them seriously!" Whatever they were, they were great, and it was a really fun concert. I don't think I'd like to listen to their music on CD, but they were certainly a kick to experience live. I liked the way all the instruments got at least one solo, sometimes with several sequential solos in one song, which was cool. And there were three main singers, which was also nice. The band leader, Ray Benson, had the most amazingly deep voice -- and, boy, did he play it up! And the fiddle player, Jason Roberts, was awesome. They both sang, as did the only female, Elizabeth McQueen, who had a great belting alto voice. It was a totally racous concert and immensely fun. And it was free! :)

In slightly less rowdy but still exciting news, I made raspberry jam this afternoon! Yes, I know I said I was done with jamming, but I realized there were more people on my "I want to give jam to..." list than I had jars of jam, so I had to make another batch. Oh, darn. :P But now I'm out of jars, so I'd better be done!

No comments: