Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Nurse Logs are Awesome

Today I 'shadowed' two Audubon Society Sanctuary tours, as part of my volunteer training to become a tour guide myself. Every time I go out in the woods, things are different, and something different always fascinates me. Today it was nurse logs. I think all the pictures I took are of Western Red Cedar nurse logs (which retain a lot of water) with Hemlock trees (which like a lot of water) growing out of them. I thought the root structures were pretty amazing - you can just imagine what they're going to look like once the nurse log has completely rotted away...






Okay, that one's not a nurse log - it's me! Just to prove I was actually there. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, interesting. Nurse logs were a new term for me. Thanks for sharing and good luck on the new adventure.