Monday, January 28, 2008

Fitting

This is my week of "lasts" - I had my last New Employee Orientation today, I will have my last meeting with my manager later this week, and then I will have my last day at OHSU. It's a little surreal, being in my last week. It was strange being at NEO today, something I have done every Monday for the last year and a half, and knowing that, come next Monday, it will be Trisha there instead of me. Even though at the time I started, NEO was the "hot potato" project that nobody wanted, it turned out to be the one I enjoyed the most, and the one I will miss the most.

On a happy note, next week will be a week of "firsts" - my first actual volunteer training for being an Audubon Society Sanctuary Tour Guide, my first immunizations for Ecuador (though I'm not terribly looking forward to those...), my first week of being completely free.

In honor of hopeful beginnings, and because I wanted to leave on a "looking forward" note rather than a "looking back" note, I've been trying to think of something to do for my teammates when I leave. I settled on a card with a photo of all of us, a note and a poem. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to come up with inspiration for a new poem, but I had a feeling that I had something previously written that would be just perfect. After some rummaging (during my reorganizing blitz last weekend), I found just the thing (from June 1997). It doesn't have a title, but I think it captures the spirit of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I know that my teammates know conceptually what I am doing, but I think this might give them a deeper insight into the spiritual dimension. I owe them that much, after the support and encouragement they have given me.

The window to the world is open
The winds of change are blowing through my hair
Inviting me to fly, to spread my wings
To wish and to be there
To live and to let others live their own
To try and to succeed
Never to give up, but to have faith
That all will turn out right just when I need
A helping hand to guide me
Through nights so stormy black and grey
To lead me on to hope, to love
To the life and lasting beauty of the day


I need to write more.

2 comments:

Quena said...

You're great, Lacey! I love your writings and your poems especially! Have fun during your week of "lasts," it's fun to do things you've always done but really realize how you've made them yours. I remember the last time I stocked the dairy cooler at the co-op! I did it gleefully ;-)
love you!

nativeplace gardener said...

Hey Lacey!

I loved the poem and agree you must write more. loved your profile too and and am happy that i chanced apon your blog