Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Effective Interviewing

Yesterday afternoon I went to a workshop at the Career Center called "Effective Interviewing." I ended up being the only person to show up to attend the workshop, so I basically got a free hour and a half interview training session. It was great! Interviews have always freaked me out, and they still do somewhat, but it was really good to force myself to sit down and face up to the fact that I need to actually practice interviewing - and then do it.

That workshop came with perfect timing, because this morning I had an interview for a temporary job up at OSHU (Oregon Health Sciences University). It's an indefinite-period, part-time temporary job in the Career Development Center, basically providing administrative support to the career counselor and running the computer lab, scheduling trainings, etc. Armed with the practice from the workshop yesterday I went in much more confident than usual, and came out feeling like I'd done a great job. That was pretty much a first!

Apparently, the women who interviewed me also thought it was a good interview, because they offered me the job! The recruiter from the staffing agency called me this afternoon to say that they want me to start on Monday. So I have a job! Hooray! Of course, I still have an interview on Friday with TriMet for a permanent part-time position, so there's a chance I could end up landing two jobs in one week! But we shall see. For now I will be extremely content with the fact that I have a job and will be working next week. It's a good feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good things come to people who can backflip... and have good interviewing skills.