Monday, March 20, 2006

Blue eggs and compost

Happy Spring, everybody!!

I celebrated spring yesterday by going out into the garden and getting my plot ready for spring. I also turned the compost pile, which was exceedingly smelly and absolutely swarming with worms -- hooray!! The only really unpleasant part about turning the compost was discovering that an entire egg had somehow survived intact, way down at the bottom of the pile. Unfortunately, of course, I discovered it with my shovel. Do you know what color a really rotten egg is? Blue. Yeah. And really really smelly.

Other than that, it was a fabulous day. The weather is absolutely gorgeous, and it feels like spring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel educated now, I had no idea rotten eggs turn blue. I remember seeing something about 3,000 year old eggs (the bizarre delicacy, not literally) and they're green, but maybe it takes longer than just a month to turn blue? =)

On a side note, I'm jealous that it's so nice up there. Santa Cruz is being absolutely bizarre weather-wise. It hailed again today... weird.

-Sarah

Lacey said...

Yeah, I don't think the compost pile had been turned since summer, so that egg has probably been there for about 7-8 months. Ylch. I don't think I'd want to be around to witness the cracking of a 3,000 year-old egg!