Friday, April 15, 2005

Inspiring Quotes of the Day

"An ideal is not more elevated because more transcendent, but because it leads us to vaster perspectives. What is important is not that it tower high above us, until it becomes a stranger to our lives, but that it open to our activity a large enough field."
- Emile Durkheim, 1893

I guess anthropologists can have some pretty decent things to say sometimes. :)


And another one I saw on a bumper sticker a few months back and have kept on my desktop ever since:
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
- Maggie Kuhn

This one reminds me of climbing the mountain with trembling legs on the first day of my vision quest, after passing out about 10 minutes earlier. What got me up that mountain was the constant repetition of a few simple words that came into my head as I climbed: "This shaking keeps me steady, this I know. I learn by going where I have to go." It's pretty amazing how many times those lines have come back to me since that time, and how powerful they remain.

No comments: