Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Planting Smiles and Summer Plans


A couple of weeks ago I went out and bought a bunch of different kinds of sunflower seeds and some potting soil, and I spent a bit of time yesterday afternoon planting them in seed trays and pots. Unfortunately, we'd only bought one seed-starting tray (a little mini-greenhouse, actually), but that was a gross underestimate for the number of seeds I'd bought. So I went back to the Garden Center after school today and bought three more, and a bunch more potting soil as well. It's been raining all day, so I haven't been able to plant the rest of the seeds, but hopefully it will be nice tomorrow, so all my seeds will be on roughly the same schedule. When they start to come up and are ready to transplant, we're going to plant them all up and down the path from the front door to the bottom of the driveway, and make a field of sunflowers in front of the house. I'm excited. :)

So, I know you've all been wondering after that cryptic hint in my last entry, what on earth I'm doing this summer. Well, to make a long story short, I've decided that French isn't the language for me, and that it will make things a heck of a lot easier for me and more efficient in terms of degree progress if I go back and resurrect my Spanish. Which means that the France trip is off. Which is completely okay, as I was having a hard time imagining a summer away from Portland in the first place. The current plan is to brush up on my Spanish, using my old textbooks, audiobooks, etc., and take an intensive second-year course at PSU this summer. If I can manage it, that means I'll be completely done with my language requirement, and won't have to worry about credit transfers or taking language during the school year. I imagine I'm going to struggle somewhat in the beginning, but I think it's doable. I may take an anthropology class at the same time, but I'm not sure yet. The only reason I'd do that would be so that I wouldn't have to take it from the normal teacher, who I don't really get along with. (I just dropped that class, since I was already overloaded and I didn't get on with her teaching style.) So it looks like I'll be pretty much a full-time student for the summer. Sigh. But it'll be good.

So that's what I'm up to. I've just gotten my big research paper assigned for one of my classes, and we're starting our group projects in another class tomorrow, so things are probably going to get even busier than they already are in the next couple of weeks. But I get to watch my sunflowers grow!

No comments: