Saturday, November 17, 2007

Photography Lessons

I had my first photography lesson with Mary (John's mom) last night, and came home with a camera on loan to practice! I think she taught me just enough to make me think I know what I'm doing, even though I really don't. But she also lent me a few great books, so I can read up on how the camera works and figure out if I'm doing things right -- because I can't see my pictures as I go along like with a digital camera! :P I am going to be very good and write down the settings I use for each shot, though, so I can go back later when I get the film developed and figure out how I could have improved each one.

Mary also said that her favorite darkroom teacher may be teaching a class close by during the winter quarter, so we may take that together (she uses it more as a workshop, since she already knows how to do most of her own developing, but I would learn a ton). I'm excited! It will be neat to "take photographs" instead of just "shooting pictures."

No comments: