Monday, April 17, 2006

Wire Weaving

It's pretty near impossible to push pins into the walls of my cubicle at work, so I've been struggling to figure out how to hang the big calendar that Catherine gave me. I decided that a couple of hooks that hang over the top of the wall and come down on my side to put through the holes in the calendar would do the trick. Of course, this is a rather common thing in the office; there are all sorts of hooks and things hung on peoples' cubicles, of various sizes and designs, likely bought from places like Office Depot for an exhorbitant amount of money. Because I'm too lazy and too cheap (and too creative!) to go spend money for something like that, I decided to make my own hooks out of a spool of wire I have lying around, originally bought for dreamcatcher hoops or other such crafty business. I was sort of envisioning Graham's paper clip sculptures and wondering how to recreate something like that as a hook, when I thought of the wheat weaving that Mom used to do. It turns out that the square weave with four strands works perfectly for 22-guage wire, and creates a lovely sturdy braid that I can bend to whatever dimensions and shapes I want, and that should hold up a good deal of weight once hooked atop a cubicle wall. Maybe I'll make another one to hang my coat on... :)

2 comments:

Tandava said...

Actually, I did almost exactly that for hanging my whiteboard over the side of a bookcase back in my last room. Except I didn't have a spool of wire and I just twisted paper clips together to make them long enough. Also, mine didn't remotely approach anything so artistic as wheat weaving. :-)

SEO said...

Hi,
Thanks for the great details, i have bookmarked your blog for the future upcoming post.

We are leading manufacturers & suppliers of Braiding Wire, MIG Wire, Nail Wire, Weaving wire