Thursday, April 20, 2006

An interesting method of escaping fire

John has been wanting to teach me how to rappel for a long time now, and tonight we finally did it -- off the fire escape at the back of our building. :P Don't worry, it's perfectly safe, and he had me on belay as well, just in case. He hauls things up and down on ropes all the time when he loads his sound gear in and out for gigs, and he's a very experienced rappeler (if that's how you spell it), so he knows what he's doing. Once I got myself over the handrail and actually let my weight into the rope, I was just fine, and it was a fun ride down. A couple of guys from the next building over stopped to watch and ask questions, but politely declined John's offer to let them join in. :)

By the way, no fire was involved.

2 comments:

cristie said...

I love rapelling. AFTER I've gotten myself over the edge. :) That tipping point is just a hard one to get past... Fun stuff though. Are you going to go out rapelling in nature somewhere?

Lacey said...

Yes, hopefully. There's a place called Rocky Butte that John goes to. He tried to take me a few times last summer, but there were always conflicts. But now that the weather is getting gorgeous and it's staying light out late, we can start going occasionally after work. Hooray!