Monday, November 07, 2005

Stolen

So, after that last glum and dreary post I get to tell you about the highlight of the weekend: my wallet was stolen from my backpack during the ball rehearsal. Yeah. Apparently (according to campus security) there's a guy who goes around campus stealing wallets, buying bus passes with the credit cards to sell downtown, and then trashing the wallets. So he came in and took my entire wallet just to buy one $66 bus pass and throw the whole thing away. Grrrrrr. And, of course, I didn't follow my instincts when I had an inkling something was wrong (my backpack was zipped differently than I normally zip it), so I didn't really start worrying about it until I was in bed trying to go to sleep after the Ball was over. So I got up and got on the phone, staying up till about 1:00 (which is far too late for me) calling my bank and my credit card company and sorting things out. I really was not entirely coherent, and had a very hard time remembering basic things like my social security number, but more because I was tired and already emotionally drained than because I was distraught about the wallet. I mean, I am distraught, but in a rather passive sort of way, if that's possible. I was just extremely glad that I had taken Paul's advice earlier this year and made a Word document with all of my card numbers, account numbers, and phone numbers to call for each if my wallet ever got stolen. He's a smart cookie.

I suppose that if this guy just disposes of wallets on campus or downtown somewhere, there's a chance it could be recovered, but I'm not holding out much hope. So it's on to replacing things like library cards, drivers license, and the very-nearly-full frequent buyer card for one of my favorite thrift stores. Unfortunately, there were a couple of photographs in the wallet which I am very sad to lose, but I have more. John was very sweet; he offered to take me down to Saturday Market yesterday (it's also open on Sundays) to look for a new wallet, but I didn't have time. I also don't know how I would go about selecting a new wallet. I mean, I've used Graham's old wallets for years now, and have had the last one for I don't know how long. (I was talking to Paul and likened that wallet to my desk - it's old and dilapidated and falling apart, but I've had it for so long that my life is organized in it, everything fits perfectly, I know exactly where everything is, and I can't imagine using any other.) Upon hearing my dilemma John said, "Well, it's settled then. I'm giving you my wallet." No amount of protest could change his mind, so it looks like I have a new wallet. Silly boy. But sweet.

In more uplifting news, two women from Iron Mountain Sword at the Ball independently asked me if I wanted to start rapper dancing with them. I can't do it for the rest of the quarter, because things are starting to get crazy, but I'm definitely thinking about it come January.... :)

2 comments:

Tandava said...

Aw, I'm sorry. I would have bought a new wallet and given you my old one, if you wanted. I'm glad you got John's though. Good luck getting everything sorted out and reassembled.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your wallet being stolen. It's not a fun experience, I suffered that myself, as well as, identity theft. I'm glad you were able to cancel credit cards, etc., quickly. Just the same, look closely at bills coming in. Blessings.