Saturday, November 12, 2005

Rack of Lamb

Last night was dinner party night (hooray!) with Jan, Althea, Mitch, one of Mitch's housemates, Tyler, and another friend of theirs, Kari. I made french bread and potato leek soup, which I transported in a large Ziplock bag, much to everybody's amusement. They had all been wondering how I was going to manage to bring a large quantity of soup all the way over there on the bus, and they were very impressed. :) My soup and bread were good, but completely overshadowed by Mitch's main course - rack of lamb with a fabulous red wine and mushroom sauce. How many 24-year-old men do you know that make rack of lamb for a dinner party of 24-year-olds? I decided not to mention the fact that I'm normally pretty much vegetarian. I mean, how many opportunities do I have to eat like that? It was good. Oh, yeah, and he had some really nice wine, too (from his 150-bottle wine cellar), and cheesecake for dessert (made with six - count them, six - blocks of cream cheese). :) We're aiming to make these dinner parties semi-regular events, which would be fabulous. They're fun people to hang out with, and it's nice to meet other people who like to cook, especially people my age!

Also out of last evening I may have found somebody to pass my apartment to when I have to move next quarter. Tyler is also a student at PSU (unlike everybody else at the dinner party, who graduated from Reed around the time I should have graduated from Stanford), and will be looking for a place to live in March, when Mitch leaves for a year of sailing around the world with his dad and they can no longer keep the house they're renting. Since I have a quarter to move out after I graduate, and since this apartment is such a good deal and so convenient that I'll probably stick around for as much of that quarter as I can, I will probably be moving out around the time Tyler will be looking to move in somewhere. So hopefully I can just pass my apartment on to him the way Paul passed it to me, and the way the previous resident passed it to Paul. I like the way we can work the system like that. :)


*******************************
Current Magnetic Poetry:

two sparks fly
hungry
crazy to burn
to turn a flicker
into a blazing fire

No comments: