Monday, July 25, 2005

Picnics and Pesto

Today was a good day, a social day. Not, unfortunately, a homework day. :} Cate came over around lunchtime and we made sandwiches and the most delicious smoothies in the world, and took them out into the Park Blocks for a picnic on the grass. Yum! After she left I tried to do some homework, but somehow got sidetracked into making cookies. I wonder how that happened? :P It has become something of a tradition for me to bring cookies to field school on Tuesdays, so this week I made chocolate, oatmeal, walnut, chocolate and white chocolate chip cookies. Mmmmmm.....

I took a few cookies to Cristie and Martin in the anthropology lab this afternoon, and then headed over to the garden, where I mixed a bunch of compost and fertilizer and spread it all over my garden plot. There were so many good worms in there! I have high hopes for this improving the happiness of my plants. Things haven't been doing wonderfully because the soil is new and doesn't have any life in it, so the compost should really help. Several people have already fertilized with compost in the last week or so, and their plots are certainly doing better. Hooray for compost!

While I was in the garden, I did a "major" harvest -- the most goodies I've picked at once. Besides the peas I picked and ate in the garden (those never make it more than two feet from the plant), I brought home two baby zucchini, two strawberries, three cherry tomatoes, an onion, and a whole mess of basil, both purple and green. Yum! Cristie came over for dinner and we ate pesto and salad with fresh garden veggies. Everything that didn't come from my garden came from the Farmer's Market. Pretty soon my lettuces will be ready, and I'll be able to make a whole salad completely from my own garden! I even have a bunch of cucumbers coming in, including one semicircular one. :) Gardening makes me happy.

No comments: