Sunday, June 15, 2008

Shoes to Fill

This is not the sentiment I expected to come up on Father's Day (and it isn't actually directed toward my father), but up it came. I don't know how to explain this poem, or even if I should - it is what it is, and it is filled with love and respect despite outward appearances.


I've followed in your footsteps more than once
but only halfway.
Always a step behind, never quite catching up
to your expectations.
Your shoes are too large for my feet to fill,
your height too tall for me to measure up, even on tip-toe,
to look you in the eye and tell you --
I wanted with all my heart to be just like you
and believe me, I tried.
But the shoes don't fit
and they don't belong to me.
Will you let me tie my own shoes instead
and walk beside you?


Happy father's day to all my fathers and father figures - I love you all, and look forward to walking side by side with you for many years to come.

No comments: