Friday, October 19, 2007

Top 10 Reasons I Like Biking (Even When it's Rainy & Cold)

In no particular order...

1. I get exercise without having to spend "extra" time on it -- I get at least an hour of "automatic" exercise every day just getting to & from work & school.

2. There's less bike traffic on the roads and bridges when it's rainy (and yes, in Portland, bike traffic is a commute consideration).

3. When I'm biking in the cold and rain, I can feel every part of my body so much better. A lot of the time in our current weather, I'll just wear a t-shirt and fleece vest, so the skin on my arms gets the invigorating wind chill while my body heats up from the inside -- it's such a fantastic feeling. And when the rain starts soaking through different parts of my clothing as I ride, I become more aware of those parts, how they're feeling, how they're working, getting me to my destination (albeit soaking wet). It's biking with the rain, not against it. (And no, I haven't caught cold from it yet.)

4. Doing my part to put as little carbon dioxide into the air as possible.

5. There's a bizarre sort of righteous satisfaction in "toughing it out" and biking in all weathers, when other people wimp out.

6. Not having to get on a damp, steamy bus that's crowded with sopping wet, crabby riders. (Oh, yeah, and not having to pay for the bus, either.)

7. Enjoying afternoon rainbows that drivers are going too fast to see.

8. Facing a new and unknown commute challenge every day, depending on the fickle fall weather here in Portland.

9. OHSU pays me to commute by bike when I would do it anyway.

10. I crack myself up. Somehow, I am always able to find something amusing while I'm biking (usually myself). In general, when my face isn't screwed up against the driving rain, I'm laughing. Sometimes I interrupt the "rain scowl" with laughter at how silly a face I'm making. I also talk to myself almost constantly while I bike, and apparently I'm highly entertaining It's great.

So yeah. Bike commuting. I highly recommend it. Even in the rain. :)

2 comments:

Tandava said...

I just got myself a new bike recently. Haven't ridden it in the rain yet, though. Yay for more exercise and less pollution!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for bike commuters! :) I got totally soaked a few weeks ago when I wasn't prepared for it, and I pretty much stopped feeling my body b/c it was so freaking cold. But usually I'm prepared.