Monday, May 17, 2004

A Dancing Barmaid? Me?


Ever heard of the Christmas Revels? Well, the man who writes the scripts for the Portland Revels is trying to recruit me for a spot in the show. And not just any spot, either. You see, in every year's show there is an appearance by the Bridgetown Morris Men (the team Hugo dances with here in Portland, but he hasn't done the Revels with them), usually doing some sort of morris dance and a sword dance. Well, this year, Dick (also of Bridgetown, writer of the scripts) has written a part for a female morris dancer. Basically, the show is about Will Kemp, and the part of this female dancer (who is a barmaid) is basically to show him up in a dance competition, supported by Queen Elizabeth. So Dick said, "we need a really, really, really good morris dancer who can really get off the ground when she dances." And apparently, according to him, I'm the only woman around who fits the description. Jeez, talk about piling on the compliments! Anyway, contrary to how I like to think of myself, I'm actually a sucker for a performance (dance, that is -- put me on stage and ask me to talk and I'm lost), and it sounds quite fun. However, it's also a speaking part, so I'd have to produce some level of acting ability. And then there's the rehearsal schedule, which Dick said he'd send me, to see if I can fit it in. I asked when auditions were and Hugo said, "You don't understand. The part is yours if you want it. You don't have to audition." Eep. What do you think? Should I do it?

No comments: