Saturday, March 29, 2003

What a gloriously gorgeous day! The whole day has just been one big happy. Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. :) It’s been beautiful and warm and sunny (shorts and tank top weather, believe it or not, after the rain we’ve been having this week), the cherry trees are beautiful and blossoming, the flowers are blooming, and it’s just beautiful. We’ve had the front door open almost all day it’s been so nice out. We walked to Swagat this afternoon for an Indian buffet lunch, and walked back by way of the hospital’s "Healing Garden," seeing and smelling all of the lovely flowers and herbs and happy things. I spent a good part of the afternoon sitting on the porch in the sunshine writing a few letters, helping Kirsty write a story about a giant and a kitten, and listening to Hugo play the mandolin on the steps.

Oh, and I’ve been playing the mandolin as well! Hugo was starting to teach me "Blue Eyed Stranger" before breakfast, but it necessarily turned into basic mandolin anatomy and technique. I’ve been doodling around with it a bit more this evening, and figured out how to play the tune to Badbe Bean Setting, one of my favorite morris dances – a very energetic stick dance. It’s fun and exciting to pick out tunes, but my fingers hurt! :P I’ve been thinking more and more recently that I really need to learn how to play an instrument, so that when I’m not dancing at morris practice or at gigs, I can still participate by playing. And my choices are basically either the pennywhistle of Graham’s that I’ve had in my desk drawer for about three years now, or one of Hugo’s mandolins. I am also babysitting DeMara’s guitar for her, but that’s not such a good morris instrument, and besides, my small hands don’t work too well for the larger neck. :P I’ve been thinking about trying the pennywhistle out again, but I’m feeling more in a mandolin mood, so I’m going with that for now. I just hope the mood lasts through the painful period of growing calluses! :P

So life is good in Lacey-Land, though I haven’t blogged for some time to tell everybody about it. I have had a great week of Spring Break, even though I’ve mostly celebrated my vacation by working full-time. It’s been sooooo nice to come home in the evenings and not have to do homework, and not have to spend the weekend studying or feeling like I should be studying. And, funny enough, it hasn’t felt like there’s been anything missing. :P I’m not exactly looking forward to school starting again next week (on the first of April, but unfortunately not April Fool’s), but at least it’s only one class. And yoga! Yay! I’ve been looking forward to getting some more exercise. I think I’ll bring my bike out of the basement tomorrow and see if it’s still working, and maybe start biking to work if the weather keeps being nice.

Oh, and I passed both of my classes last quarter. That’s about all there is to say about that, other than thank goodness that’s over. :}

Beautiful beautiful day! I hope everybody’s Saturday was as wonderful as mine. :)

No comments: