Monday, July 31, 2006

Release

In my last post I mentioned that I was looking for a second job. I've sent off a number of applications in the last several weeks, but haven't had many takers. I did have one interview last week, with the new Executive Director of Pacific Printing and Imaging, Inc., a non-profit supporting the printing industry in the Pacific Northwest. She wants a half-time administrative assistant to help her out with day-to-day things and to help harness her creativity and transform it into productivity (that is, of course, my interpretation, though quite well-founded, I believe).

Anyway... on the morning of my interview (Wednesday) I chose an Angel Card for the day - it was Release. I thought, hmmm, I suppose I shouldn't get too attached to the outcome of this interview today; I just have to let it be what it is and then let it go. Well, when John got up he chose an Angel Card, and then I chose another one, this time specifically for the interview. I got Release again. Okay, I thought, I get the message!

The interview went well, I thought (a few interesting coincidences in our history didn't hurt things), and she said she'd like to have somebody picked out by Friday. Well, to make a long story short, Friday came and went with no word. I didn't think about it too much over the weekend, but today I started wondering if I should send another followup email, just to see where she was in the process and to let her know I was still interested. I ended up not having time to send the email, and by the end of the day I had finally (really, this time) taken the Angel Card to heart and released the attachment, figuring she'd made her decision and I shouldn't worry about what was already decided.

Well, I came home this evening and there was a message from her on my answering machine - I called her back and she offered me the job! :) So I guess it's good to let go of things sometimes - if they're really right for you, chances are they'll come back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Way to release! Will they pay you for riding your bike, as well?

Lacey said...

No, but they don't need to, because it's only about 8 blocks away! :)

Quena said...

Release and letting go is definatly a MOST valuable lesson. Many(!) congrats on learning and applying it well!