Monday, July 19, 2004

She came, we shopped, we conquered

Mom came up to visit last weekend, and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The weather was hot and muggy, but by the time 8:30-9:00 rolled around it was quite pleasant to be sitting out on the deck eating dinner. Mom fell in love with the quesadillas made with Hugo's homemade spelt tortillas and Tillamook cheddar, so much so that she had one for breakfast the next morning! :) We had lots of good food, lots of cheap champagne, and lots of wonderful music. Oh, and the shopping.... We went to Value Village on Saturday. We're not going to confess how much time we spent there, but we emerged with lots of very nice stuff. We also spent a couple of hours at Powells, where I spent the entire time in the travel section but managed to restrain myself from actually purchasing anything, since I have a birthday gift certificate to that I need to spend. So I just wrote down a bunch of titles and authors so I can look them up on Amazon and get them there. Thanks, Dad and Betty Lue! :)

After Mom left on Sunday afternoon we drove downtown and met up with Paul, who's up in Portland for two weeks at a yoga conference. He's actually staying very close to our old apartment, so we took a walk and showed him the lovely park that's close by, and just chatted for a while. Then Hugo and I went to see "Glengarry Glen Ross" (a play) at Portland's smallest theater, which has 50 seats. It was a very intense play, with lots of shouting, and with a theater that small it really feels like you're part of the action. At the show we met the friends who had recommended it to us, back for a second time. Afterwards Hugo and I went to dinner at a place they recommended, and I had the most heavenly ravioli on the planet. It was sooooooo good.

And today it was back to school, everything back to normal. Except there's a girl in the class whose father has the chicken pox, and she informed us that she's contagious, so if we hadn't had chicken pox then we should probably stay away from her. The teacher kind of freaked out, and I could tell he didn't really know what to do, but he let her stay (she sat by the door and we left the door open so she could breathe out there). I didn't think she should have come to school at all, but I was just glad I didn't have to sit by her. Anyway, I have an exam tomorrow, so I should get back to studying. Just wanted to catch up, since I haven't blogged for a while.


No comments: